Monday 21 January 2013

MACADAMIA MADNESS!!! (shampoo, conditioner, mask, oil, oil infused comb, no tangle brush)


Be prepared... This is going to be A LOOOOONG POST...so either make some tea or coffee, sit down and enjoy or ignore it?! But, you can always scroll down to the parts you're interested in. So....Macadamia hair care here we go.


Like many others, I got infected with Macadamia. I've heard so much about it that I just had to try it. In my defense, I was vulnerable after a bad hairdresser appointment, and there was a huge sale on cheapsmells. So, I ended up buying their hair mask, shampoo, conditioner and healing oil. The comb and no tangle styling brush were a gift from my usual hairdresser. I love her so much and am so thankful not only for these two combs/brushes, but also for carefree visits to her salon. She of course wasn't the one who messed up my, usually healthy, long, blond hair.


As in my routine, I am going to start with Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo for dry or damaged hair. I don't have dry hair, but as I said, it was damaged.
Like other Macadamia products, this shampoo doesn't contain parabens or sulfates, and is color safe.


My, at the time, horrible hair colour didn't change (unfortunately), and my current colour isn't dramatically changing but of course with frequently washing your hair, it will change a little bit. You know...it looses its OOMPH and a little bit of shine. Nothing major.


It doesn't have a distinctive scent, it almost doesn't have any scent at all. That was surprising to me since the first product I tried from them was the mask which has a very strong, to me, tropically scent.
Its consistency is kind of strange. It reminds me of Lush- Big shampoo (I prefer Lush over this one), I guess because of the sea salt that it contains, but in Macadamia's version you can't feel the small particles. It deep cleans your hair but it doesn't add volume, and the downside is that it tangles your hair quite a bit while washing, and that can't be a good thing for dry or already damaged hair. It is interesting that the first time I wash my hair with it, it doesn't foam up a lot but the second time it does.
I am not too crazy about this shampoo and wouldn't buy it again.

Ingredients (shampoo):
water (aqua/eau), Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine Cocamide MEA, Cetyl Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Polysorbate 20, Glycol Distearate, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (parfum), Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Glycereth-2 Cocoate, Polyquaternium-7, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camelia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (linseed) Seed Extract, Sea Salt,Aminomethyl Propanol, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Limonene, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 4 (CI 14700).

As I said, I bought it on cheapsmells, unfortunately can't remember how much I paid for it but it is $21 for 10 fl.oz./300 ml bottle. That is their official price but in Europe it costs much more. On cheapsmells it costs 10.95 GBP (13.24 Euros) with a 39% discount- link. I don't know how much it is in other countries outside America, but I think that it is definitely more than $21.



Next is Macadamia Natural Oil Moisturizing Rinse- daily conditioning for all hair types.

"...an every day conditioner that gently nourishes, detangles, moisturizes and protects, leaving hair soft, manageable and ready to style.
HOW TO USE: After cleansing with our Rejuvenating Shampoo, work Moisturizing Rinse through wet hair, from roots to ends. Leave in for 30-60 seconds then rinse thoroughly."

This also has an almost undetectable scent and weird consistency. Even when you put it in your hand it doen't feel rich or moisturizing. I am aware of the fact that this is a daily conditioner, and it wouldn't be good if it was too rich or heavy, but for damaged hair it should be more nourishing. It will not help you much with detangling your hair, especially if it is damaged.


Now, when my hair is grown and back to its usual state it is a little bit better, but for dry or damaged hair, it won't work.

Ingredients (conditioner):
Water (Aqua/Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Silk, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy protein, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrlyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Barley Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Amodimethicone, C 11-15 Pareth-7, Laureth-9, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Polyquaternium-69, Glycereth-26, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Aminomethyl Propanol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Linalool, Fragrance (parfum).

They suggest to leave it on the hair for 30-60 seconds, I left it for even longer, and applied it after their rejuvenating shampoo but the results were always the same- NON EXISTENT!



I also bought a 300 ml/10 fl.oz bottle of conditioner. The price is the same- 10.95 GBP (13.24 Euros) on cheapsmells- link. On Macadamia's official site the price of it is $24. I wouldn't buy it again and if you are really interested to try it, start with a smaller bottle if you can't get a sample.


I know it seems that I didn't like Macadamia products but here we come to the good ones.

This one deserves all the hype- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque.


This product literally saved my hair after that horrible hair appointment. It really deeply nourishes and moisturizers the hair, especially if you apply it mixed with healing oil. It is ment for dry and damaged hair.

"Our Deep Repair Masque is a hair reconstructor that will penetrate and rebuild damaged hair for improved shine and elasticity.
  • Enriched with Macadamia & Argan oils
  • Deep nourishment & long-lasting conditioning
  • Ultra-conditioning hair reconstruction"
It should be applied on wet hair and allow up to 7 minutes to penetrate in your hair before rinsing. It shouldn't be used more than twice a week since it is an intense treatment.
I leave it on my hair for ten minutes and when I wash it, it feels healthy, nourished,  looks silky, and combs out beautifully. I really love this mask!

you can see that since I already have a back up
but a smaller version
It has a very strong, tropically scent. I didn't like the scent at first but now I love it. It would be good to test it first because if you don't like the smell of it, you will hate this mask since it stays in your hair.


I first bought it in the largest size 500 ml/16.9 fl.oz. and I am not sorry at all. It lasted one year for me (it has an expiration date of 18 months after opening it). It is very rich and creamy so you don't need a lot of it. I also bought it on cheapsmells for an amazing price- about 15 GBP with shipping. On Macadamia's site it costs $49. Cheapsmells currently has only a small version of it- link.


Ingredients (masque):
Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Quaternium-80, Amodimethicone, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Parfum/Fragrance, Algae Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, C11-15 Pareth-7, Trideceth-12, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone.


I have greasy hair so I use it only once a week in combination with (two pumps) of healing oil. I have heard that if you leave it on your hair, in combination with healing oil, overnight, it works wonders. But I don't think that you need to do that if you have normal/greasy hair. Only if your hair is really dry or/and damaged.


And the last hair care product that I own from the line is- Macadamia Natural Oil, Healing Oil Treatment for all hair types, which I also bought on cheapsmells. I swear, I am not affiliated with them in any way but the sale was amazing!!! They don't offer it right now, but then I bought the biggest size they had- 125 ml/4.2 fl.oz. glass bottle. I paid about 13 GBP for it (in America it costs $39.95).
Although the bottle is made out of glass, it is very sturdy, and although it has a pump on top it is very travel friendly. Other products that I mentioned are in plastic bottles/containers.

Ingredients (oil):
Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Parfum/fragrance, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Coumarin, Linalool, Limonene, CI 27755, CI 47000, CI 26100.

"Our Healing Oil Treatment is a therapeutic hair oil perfect for all hair types and is especially beneficial to dry, damaged hair.
  • Intense nourishment for tangle & frizz free hair
  • Hair that is ultra-smooth, manageable & shiny
  • Natural UV protection extends the life of color treatments
  • Reduced drying time by an amazing 40-50%"

It can be applied to damp or dry hair, alone or in combination with hair mask. Since it has a heavy consistency, if you have greasy hair I wouldn't recommend to apply it to dry hair. But if you use it as or with a mask on wet hair, and then rinse off, it will do miracles.
The scent is strong and tropically as the mask. I really like this oil and would buy it again.

All these products are CRUELTY and PARABEN FREE!!!

"Macadamia Natural Oil comes from the South Pacific and is becoming very popular for its amazing effect on hair. Hair will be given a soft touch that feels healthy and cared for."

In my opinion the mask and the oil are great products which I would buy again. The shampoo and conditioner aren't worth the money. I wouldn't recommend them. But if you read carefully the ingredients you will see that Macadamia oil is just one ingredient in combination with argan oil so it is possible to find a similar product for less money. I haven't found it, yet but if you were more successful in that department, tell me.



The last two products that I own and have tried are no tangle brush and oil infused comb.


Macadamia Healing Oil Infused Comb...

"Our unique comb blends our Healing Oil Treatment with a specially formulated resin for a detangler infused with our special oil.
  • Hassle-free nourishment and tangle maintenance
  • Detangles hair while adding shine and smoothness
  • Oil treatment benefits with no residue on your hands
  • Provides even distribution of Healing Oil Treatment"
This is a small plastic comb that is supposed to have oil in it...I get the idea but this comb is... I am thinking how to say this politely- NOT THE BEST!!! You really don't need it because it doesn't do a thing. Maybe it would work better if it had some kind of handle , but that is also a "what if situation"?! In America it costs $9, but in Europe you will pay 6-8 GBP (up to 10 Euros) for it if you don't get it in a set.
My advice to you is- IGNORE IT!


But this next item is AMAZING!!! I haven't tried other detangling brushes so I can't compare it to any other, but this one is a savior for me. You will brush your wet hair out in half the time with absolutely no pain. And for a girl with a long, blond hair to say that...that means something. I almost forgot to present it in a proper way. Its name is- Macadamia Natural Oil No Tangle Styler Brush.

"The No Tangle Brush utilizes a unique “flex bristle” design that gently diffuses tangles and knots, painlessly and safely detangling your hair. The remarkable bristles eliminate pulling, split-ends and breakage.
The No Tangle brush is so gentle that cuticle damage is minimized, helping protect the vibrancy, shine and longevity of color treated hair.

  • Smooths the cuticle layer
  • Minimizes breakage, splitting and damage
  • Painless and stress-free detangler
  • Recommended for fragile or chemically treated hair
  • Excellent for scalp massage and improved circulation
  • Safe for use with hair extensions"

The price of it in America is $15, but you will pay up to 10 Euros/8 GBP in Europe for it unless you have an amazing hairdresser or you find it on sale.

That is it my friends.

What do you say? Have you tried some of these products? Interested?

Tell me....

Love, beautyandbrains007

I am not affiliated to cheapsmells or Macadamia in any way. All the products are purchased by myself.

5 comments:

  1. I love all the macadamia hair oil product.I get wonderful result from Deep Repair Masque.Its make my hair silky, smooth and shiny.
    Jamaican Black Castor Oil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the mask, and their detangling brush realy changed my life. I rotate so many products that it is a big deal for me to buy something again and again... If I lost their detangling brush I would be lost and would buy a new one in a second...

      Thank you for your comment. Now, I am going to check your blog :)

      Delete
  2. I also only love the mask and the oil. but if you are on a hunt for a great shampoo/conditioner, try Dermorganics with argan oil (dark brown bottle with green sticker). I actualy use the shampoo and the mask (as a conditioner). It might seem pricy but it's not cause it will last you forever!!!! It's also sulphate free and my hair has never been healtier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you agree...:)

      Thanks for the info! I already wrote it down... Where do you get yours?

      Delete
  3. What happens if you use expired shampoo using expired shampoo

    ReplyDelete